Reflection Questions on the Earth Charter (for a group)
1. Begin by just reading the Earth Charter Preamble. Do you resonate with the challenges which are named. How can you move those challenges forward? Is there language in the Preamble that you find helpful, or not helpful?
The first four principles of the Earth Charter are broad commitments. Principles 5-16, grouped as Respect and Care for the Community of Life; Ecological Integrity; Social and Economic Justice; and Democracy, Nonviolence and Peace, support the broader commitments with more specific action proposals.
2. In reading each principle, what from your experience or knowledge of the world situation comes to mind?
3. What are ways that this principle could be embodied individually, in your local chapter/group or community? What are local/global situations that need the application of this principle?
4. Name/learn about a local sustainable development issue in your community. Which Earth Charter principle(s) relate to the issue, and how? How would this situation change over time if the principle(s) were practiced as you envision?
5. Can you commit to the spirit and aims of the Earth Charter?